16 Ways to Spread a Little Bit of Kindness
Posted on February 09 2018
Has anyone done something random to just make your day? How did it make you feel? Did you give you all the warm feels inside?
Kindness has side effects on us. David Hamilton, PhD, wrote a book several years ago on the side effects kindness has on humans. Here are the five side effects we experience:
- It makes up happier
- It is good for the heart
- It slows aging
- It improves relationships
- It is contagious
February 17th is Random Acts of Kindness Day and we want you to spread a little bit of kindness all over the country. Here are some ideas to you can take to make your friends and family (and maybe some strangers) smile…
- Pay it Backward: Buy coffee for the person behind you in line.
- Compliment the first three people you talk to today.
- Say hi to the person next to you on the elevator.
- Surprise a neighbor with freshly baked cookies or treats!
- Let someone go in front of you in line who only has a few items.
- Leave unused coupons next to corresponding products in the grocery store.
- Try to make sure every person in a group conversation feels included.
- Write a kind message on your mirror with a dry erase marker for yourself, your significant other or a family member..
- Set an alarm on your phone to go off at three different times during the day. In those moments, do something kind for someone else.
- Know parents who could use a night out? Offer to babysit for free.
- While you’re out, compliment a parent on how well-behaved their child is.
- Leave a kind server the biggest tip you can afford.
- Write your partner a list of things you love about them.
- Purchase extra dog or cat food and bring it to an animal shelter.
- Find opportunities to give compliments. It costs nothing, takes no time, and could make someone’s entire day. Don’t just think it. Say it.
- Leave a box of goodies in your mailbox for your mail carrier.
What will you do to spread a little bit of kindness?
Share your random act of kindness with #RAOK18